Baylor College of Medicine, Center for Educational Outreach websites, SuperSTAARSM, BioEd OnlineSM, and K8 ScienceSM, are intended to provide general educational information. Some content on these BCM websites is written by faculty, staff and consultants of BCM; other information may be from sources outside of BCM.
- USE OF MATERIALS
- USER CONDUCT
- USER ACCOUNTS
- THIRD PARTY CONTENT
- UPGRADES AND ENHANCEMENTS TO THESE WEBPAGES
- CHANGES TO SITE
- COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT CLAIM NOTICE AND PROCEDURE
- MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD TO USE THESE WEBPAGES
- RIGHT TO PRESERVE AND DISCLOSE
- PROHIBITED ACTIONS
- PROHIBITION ON SCRIPTS, BOTS, THIRD PARTIES, ETC.
- TERM OF AGREEMENT AND TERMINATION
- FORCE MAJEURE
- ENTIRE AGREEMENT; SEVERABILITY
- NOTICE AND PROCEDURE FOR MAKING CLAIMS OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
- BLOGGING POLICY
You hereby grant to BCM (and those working with BCM and other users of these webpages) a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to communicate, copy, create derivative works, distribute, host, modify, publicly display, publicly perform, publish, reproduce, store, sublicense, and use such content and any suggestions, ideas, enhancement requests, feedback, recommendations, data, content, or other information (collectively, "Comments”) provided by you. BCM shall not be limited in any way in its use, commercial or otherwise, of any Comments. BCM is and shall be under no obligation to (i) maintain any Comments in confidence; (ii) pay any compensation for any Comments; or (iii) respond to any Comments. You are solely responsible for the content of any Comments provided to BCM by you.
Passwords may not be shared or used by more than one individual. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of any user name and/or password assigned to or selected by you so that others may not access any subscriber-only or password protected BCM websites using your account and/or identity. Remember to choose a strong password that includes numbers, capital letters, special characters, etc., and is not typically found in a dictionary. BCM reserves the right, in its sole discretion and without notice to you, to terminate your account and/or to restrict your access to all or part of any BCM website for any reason, including without limitation for extended periods of inactivity. No refunds of services fees or subscription fees will be given for any such termination. If your password is lost or stolen it is your responsibility to notify BCM at the address listed in the “Contact Us” section.
BCM may add, change, discontinue, remove or suspend any portion of its websites at any time, without notice. By using these webpages after the posting of a modification, you accept the modification. Any changes will be effective only after the effective date of the change and will not affect any dispute arising prior to the effective date of the change, provided that you have notified BCM of such dispute.
BCM MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO THESE PAGES OR THEIR CONTENTS (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, MATERIAL COMMUNICATED BY THIRD PARTIES), WHICH ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS. BCM MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES THAT THESE PAGES OR THEIR CONTENTS ARE, OR SHALL BE FREE FROM INFRINGEMENT OF ANY PATENT, COPYRIGHT, OR OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS OF THIRD PARTIES. BCM MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES THAT THE SERVICES PROVIDED BY THESE PAGES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED AND ERROR-FREE; THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED; OR THAT THE PAGES OR THE SERVER THAT MAKES THEM AVAILABLE ARE FREE FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES, WORMS, OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. BCM ALSO MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES AS TO WHETHER THE INFORMATION ACCESSIBLE VIA THESE PAGES, OR VIA LINKS TO THIRD PARTIES, IS ACCURATE, COMPLETE, OR CURRENT. ANY SUCH REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY IS HEREBY EXCLUDED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY LAW.
IN NO EVENT SHALL BCM, ITS EMPLOYEES OR AGENTS OR ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY WHO HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN THE CREATION, PRODUCTION OR DELIVERY OF THESE PAGES BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIMS, LIABILITIES, LOSSES, AND/OR EXPENSES OF ANY KIND INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, COMPENSATORY, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SUCH AS, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF ANTICIPATED PROFITS, BENEFITS, USE, OR DATA RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THESE PAGES, EVEN IF BCM HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITIES OF SUCH DAMAGES OR LOSSES. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW FOR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES. IN SUCH JURISDICTIONS, OUR LIABILITY IS LIMITED TO THE GREATEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, OR $100, WHICHEVER IS LESS.
THE INFORMATION AND ALL OTHER MATERIALS ON BCM WEBSITES ARE PROVIDED FOR GENERAL INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY AND DO NOT CONSTITUTE PROFESSIONAL ADVICE. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO EVALUATE THE ACCURACY AND COMPLETENESS OF ALL INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THESE SITES OR ANY WEBSITE WITH WHICH THEY ARE LINKED.
All material on SuperSTAARSM, BioEd OnlineSM, and K8 ScienceSM without limitation, is protected by US and/or foreign copyright and/or trademark laws. Written requests for permission to reprint any material on these BCM websites (outside of educational, non-commercial use), must be sent in writing the following address: Center for Educational Outreach, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza MS BCM411, Houston, TX 77030. Request and inquiries also made be made by phone (713-798-8200) or email (email@example.com).
If you link to SuperSTAARSM, BioEd OnlineSM, and K8 ScienceSM, the link must be in plain text, unless otherwise approved in writing. Any such link must not damage, dilute or tarnish the goodwill associated with BCM and/or any BCM intellectual property, nor may the link create the false appearance that your website or organization is sponsored, endorsed by, or affiliated or associated with BCM, and you may not “frame” BCM website content. You may not repost or make BCM-produced PDF files, PowerPoint slide files, video or any other content available on another website without written permission from BCM. You may not link to BCM websites from any website that is unlawful, abusive, indecent or obscene, that promotes violence or illegal acts, or that is otherwise inappropriate in BCM's sole discretion. BCM reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate any link from any website. To request permission to place a link from your website on a BCM website, please send your name, address, website URL, and nature of the website to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
BCM complies fully with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Users found to engage in repeated infringement of copyright are subject to termination of their site access. If you believe that any of the materials on these webpages infringes on any of your intellectual property rights, please contact BCM immediately at the address provided below. Except as expressly provided herein, BCM and the third parties reserve all rights with respect to the materials on these webpages, and may pursue all legally available options under both civil and criminal laws (and may cooperate with law enforcement agencies) in the event of any violations. Pursuant to Title 17, United States Code, Section 512(c)(2), notifications of claimed copyright infringement should be sent to BCM's Designated Agent. ALL INQUIRIES NOT RELEVANT TO THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURE WILL NOT RECEIVE A RESPONSE. NOTICE AND PROCEDURE FOR MAKING CLAIMS OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
BCM designated agent address:
Patrick Turley, PhD, JD
Office of General Counsel
Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza
Houston, Texas 77030 USA
On these webpages, BCM makes no active effort to collect personal information from individuals under the age of eighteen (18). BCM requires that users must be of legal age to enter into agreements (typically, at least eighteen  years of age or older).
Your personal information is not required to visit our sites. Access to some areas of our sites may require appropriate authorization. In that case, your unique user ID and password is required. Access to some areas of our sites, including your Profile, may require some personally identifiable information, which will be collected only if specifically and voluntarily provided and authorized by you. We have established safeguards and use reasonable security measures to protect your personally identifiable information from unauthorized access and use. You personally identifiable information is stored in a secure location in the United States of America and access is limited to authorized persons. We do not share any user information with third parties. Here are examples of personally identifiable information that we collect from you.
- We may collect your first name, last name, email address and organization if you sign up to create a user account.
- We may collect your email address if you contact us with a question.
If you do not want us to collect your personally identifiable information, please do not provide it to us. While we use software to protect the security of your information during transmission, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be absolutely secure. To the extent permitted by applicable law, BCM can accept no liability for any damages or inconvenience incurred due to its loss of personal information provide to BCM websites, or due to access to that information by unauthorized third parties.
You agree not to: (a) decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, modify or create derivative works based upon these webpages or any part thereof; (b) disable any licensing or control features of these webpages; (c) introduce into these webpages any virus or other code or routine intended to disrupt or damage these webpages, or alter, damage or delete any materials on these webpages, or retrieve or record information about these webpages or their users; (d) merge these webpages with another program or create derivative works based on these webpages; (e) remove, obscure, or alter any notice of the copyright or other proprietary legends on these webpages; (f) sublicense, assign, translate, rent, lease, lend, resell for profit, distribute or otherwise assign or transfer the materials on these webpages or access to these webpages to others; (g) use, or allow the use of, these webpages in contravention of any federal, state, local, foreign or other applicable law, or rules or regulations of regulatory or administrative organizations; or (h) otherwise act in a fraudulent, illegal, malicious or negligent manner when using these webpages. Except as expressly provided herein, BCM and the third parties reserve all rights with respect to these webpages, and may pursue all legally available options under both civil and criminal laws (and may cooperate with law enforcement agencies) in the event of any violations.
You shall not access or use these webpages by means of any automated program, expert system, electronic agent or “bot,” and shall not give any person or entity access to these webpages.
Center for Educational Outreach
Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza MS BCM411
Houston, TX 77030
NOTE: THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS PROVIDED EXCLUSIVELY FOR NOTIFYING THE SERVICE PROVIDERS REFERENCED BELOW THAT YOUR COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL MAY HAVE BEEN INFRINGED. ALL OTHER INQUIRIES THROUGH THIS PROCESS WILL NOT RECEIVE A RESPONSE.
Pursuant to Title 17, U.S. Code, Section 512(c)(2), written notification must be submitted to the following Designated Agent.
Patrick Turley, PhD, JD
Office of General Counsel
Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza
Houston, Texas 77030 USA
To be effective, the Notification must include all of the following information.
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site.
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material.
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact the Complaining Party, such as an address, telephone number, and if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted.
- A statement that the Complaining Party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the Complaining Party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
- The golden rule of this blog is the Golden Rule: treat others as you would like to be treated. Good manners are a must!
- We welcome relevant, respectful comments, but we are not responsible for, and do not endorse comments posted on this blog.
- You accept all risks associated with the use of any messages, information or content associated with this blog, including any reliance on their accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.
- We are not liable for any errors or omissions in any commentary or blog post, or for any losses or damages incurred as a result of this blog.
- We reserve the right, but do not have any obligation, to review and moderate comments, and we may delete, move, or edit messages that we, in our sole discretion, deem abusive, defamatory, profane, obscene, in violation of copyright or trademark laws, in violation of any law or this policy or our Terms of Service, or are otherwise unacceptable.
- By loading comments, you give us the right to edit your comments and to republish them without compensation to you or any other person. By providing comments, you warrant that you have the right to provide the information and that all moral rights in the uploaded materials have been waived. Of course, since you intend for your comments to be public, you understand that you have no expectation of privacy in those comments.