The Brain, Neurons and Brain Chemistry
Food for the Brain
Student Activity: Healthy Plates
1. List all the foods you have eaten in the past 24 hours, by meal (including snacks), on a separate sheet of paper.
2. Compare the foods in each meal to the recommendations in the Healthy Eating Plate. Keep in mind that many foods combine items from two or more groups.
3. On separate sheet of paper, make a chart with each food group shown in the diagram. List the foods you ate under the appropriate food groups.
4. Write an explanation of how closely the amounts and kinds of food you ate matched the recommendations in the Healthy Eating Plate.
- Encourage students to create or find recipes that include many nutrients needed by the brain. Share these with the class OR have a “Brain Food Day,” during which students (or parents) bring different foods to share in class, or prepare one or more of the students’ recipes in class.
- Have students use an online Calorie counter or App to investigate the caloric, fat and nutrient content of common fast foods.
- Health Eating Plate© 2011, Harvard University. For more information about The Healthy Eating Plate, please see The Nutrition Source, Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health.
- From the Brain Chemistry Teacher’s Guide activity, “Food for the Brain.” Brain Chemistry Teacher’s Guide © Baylor College of Medicine (ISBN: 978-1-888997-45-3) was supported, in part, by funds from the National Institutes of Health, Science Education Partnership Award grant number R25RR13454, and the NIH Blueprint for Neuroscience Research Science Education Award, National Institute on Drug Abuse and NIH Office of the Director, grant number 5R25DA033006.
Your slide tray is being processed.
Funded by the following grant(s)
NIH Blueprint for Neuroscience Research Science Education Award, National Institute on Drug Abuse, and NIH Office of the Director
The Learning Brain: Interactive Inquiry for Teachers and Students
Grant Number: 5R25DA033006
Filling the Gaps: K-6 Science/Health Education
Grant Number: 5R25RR013454