Safe Food Preparation
Energy For Life (energy from food)
Energy for Life, of the instructional unit, Food and Fitness, helps to build students’ understanding of what happens when living organisms utilize food for energy. Science concepts covered in this activity include the following.
- All organisms are composed of cells. Cells carry out functions necessary for life.
- Plants and related organisms use energy from the sun to produce food.
- Animals, fungi and other living things must eat plants or other organisms to obtain energy and the building blocks for life.
- Living things give off carbon dioxide and heat, among other byproducts, when they use food.
- Kettner, C. Saccharomyces cerevisiae Wildtype YCC588 cells stained with Calcofluor White [fluorescent micrograph, 1000X]. Saccharomyces Genome Database. Retrieved 6-28-2004 from http://www.yeastgenome.org/yeast_images.shtml
Your slide tray is being processed.
Funded by the following grant(s)
My Health My World: National Dissemination
Grant Number: 5R25ES009259
The Environment as a Context for Opportunities in Schools
Grant Number: 5R25ES010698, R25ES06932