Have students work in groups of four.
Materials per Student Group
- 4 chocolate candies (“kisses” or squares)
- 4 cups, 9-oz clear plastic
- 4 plain round cookies
- 4 toothpicks
- 1/4 cup of marshmallow creme (or frosting)
- Plastic knife or spreader
- Sheet of aluminum foil, approximately 12-in. sq (30-cm sq)
- Sheet of black construction paper, 9 in. x 12 in.
- Sheet of white construction paper, 9 in. x 12 in.
- Tape or stapler
- Tray or paper plate to hold materials
Note: If you are teaching this activity during the winter, you will need to conduct it indoors with a lamp. If the weather is warm, students may conduct the experiment outside in an area that is protected from the wind.
Your slide tray is being processed.
Funded by the following grant(s)
My Health My World: National Dissemination
Grant Number: 5R25ES009259
The Environment as a Context for Opportunities in Schools
Grant Number: 5R25ES010698, R25ES06932
Foundations for the Future: Capitalizing on Technology to Promote Equity, Access and Quality in Elementary Science Education