What Dissolves in Water?
Have students work in groups of four. Put each group's materials on a tray and place in a central location for Materials Managers to pick up.
- Food coloring
- 600 mL water
- 100-250 mL beaker
- 6 clear plastic cups, 9 oz. (250 mL)
- 6 clear plastic portion cups, 2 oz (60 mL)
- 6 spoons or coffee stirrers
- 1 teaspoon each of clear oil, diluted food coloring, flour, ground coffee (not instant), salt and sugar
- Plastic tray to hold materials
- Copy of the student page
- You will need to prepare a dilute solution of food coloring by placing approximately 120 ml of water into a plastic drinking cup or beaker and adding six drops of food coloring.
- Place a teaspoon of each test substance (clear oil, diluted food coloring solution, flour, ground coffee [not instant or coffee grinds], salt and sugar in a separate 2-oz. plastic cup or other small container.
Your slide tray is being processed.
Funded by the following grant(s)
The Environment as a Context for Opportunities in Schools
Grant Numbers: 5R25ES010698, R25ES06932
Foundations for the Future: Capitalizing on Technology to Promote Equity, Access and Quality in Elementary Science Education