Comparing Sizes of Microorganisms
Materials for Each Group of Students
To prepare for this experiment, use a word processing program to create a text document consisting of the following phrase, repeated on 24 individual lines: “The period at the end of this sentence is larger than a/an____.”
NOTE: Be sure to use 12-point Helvetica font. Print the page, and cut it so that each row of text is an individual strip of paper. You also will need to prepare a 2.5-m x 2.5-m square of paper, which will serve as a large scale model of the period at the end of the sentence.
Materials per student group
- 4 prepared text strips
- 4 hand lenses
- 4 metric rulers with millimeters
- 4 pairs of scissors
- Assorted markers or colored pencils
- Meter stick
- Paper or a science notebook
- Several sheets of colored or plain paper, or roll of chart or craft paper
- Tape or glue
- Copy of “Microbe Scaling Chart” student sheet
- Group concept map (ongoing)
Have students work in groups of four.
- Denk, J. (2009). Materials for activity 6. Baylor College of Medicine. Houston, TX.
- Moreno, N., Tharp, B., Erdmann, D., Rahmati Clayton, S., Denk, J. (2008). The Science of Microbes Teacher’s Guide. Houston, TX: BioEd.
Your slide tray is being processed.
Funded by the following grant(s)
Grant Number: 5R25RR018605