Magnifying and Observing Cells
Materials for Each Group of Students
You will need one or more microscopes for each group of four students.
- Iodine solution* and dropper or pipette
- Water and dropper or pipette
- 2 plastic cover slips
- 2 plastic microscope slides
- 2 toothpicks
- 1/6 of an onion, vertical slice
- Small length of Elodea stem, with leaves attached
- Drawing paper (or students’ lab notebooks or science journals)
- Copy of “Preparing and Viewing Slides” student sheet
- Group concept map (ongoing)
Iodine solution is toxic if ingested. Read the Materials Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) carefully. Iodine will stain clothing permanently. Be aware that some people are allergic to iodine.
Purchase one onion, and a section of Elodea (water weed, available at aquarium supply stores)
Place group materials on trays in a central location for each group's Materials Manager to pickup.
- Moreno, N., Tharp, B., Erdmann, D., Rahmati Clayton, S., Denk, J. (2008). The Science of Microbes Teacher’s Guide. Houston, TX: BioEd.
Your slide tray is being processed.
Funded by the following grant(s)
Grant Number: 5R25RR018605