What Do You Know About Microbes? (pre-assessment)
Materials for a Group of Four Students
You will need non-toxic Glo Germ™ powder and a black light to conduct this activity. You may order Glo Germ™ powder or a Glo Germ™ Kit (includes a black light) online at www.GloGerm.com or www.Sciencekit.com. See "Setup" below.
Materials per Student Group
- 8 small sticky notes (2 per student)
- 6 plastic trays to hold materials for each group
- 4 hand lenses
- 4 small paper clips
- Poster board or chart paper and markers, or access to computer with drawing software
- Prepared 1-liter plastic bottle coated with Glo Germ™ powder
- Stopwatch or clock with second hand
Materials per Student
- Copy of the pre-assessment student page
Fill one plastic liter-sized bottle with water (one per student group). Dry the outside surface of each bottle.
Place 1 cup of Glo Germ™ powder in a large plastic bag. Place each bottle, one at a time, in the bag and shake gently to coat the outside of each bottle.
The bottles will look slightly dusty, but the Glo Germ™ powder will be visible to students under a black light. The specks of Glo Germ™ powder will model microbes.
Students will need access to one balance scale (may be shared by all students).
Place each group’s tray in a central location for each group’s Materials Manager to pickup.
- Moreno, N., Tharp, B., Erdmann, D., Rahmati Clayton, S., Denk, J. (2008). The Science of Microbes Teacher’s Guide. Houston, TX: BioEd.
Your slide tray is being processed.
Funded by the following grant(s)
Grant Number: 5R25RR018605