Tools of Magnification
Materials for a Group of Four Students
Before allowing students to carry microscopes to their work areas, demonstrate how to carry a microscope by placing one hand on the microscope stand (arm) and the other under the base (foot).
Part 1: Lenses & Magnification (one per student)
- 4 index cards (or similarly sized sections of cardstock)
- Sheet of wax paper (approximately 6 cm in length)
- Dropper or pipette
- Pair of scissors
- Small container of tap water
- Transparent tape
- 4 small (approximately 2 cm x 10 cm) pieces of color newsprint. Select sections of paper that do not have printing on the back, so that colors will not show through under the microscope.
- Other objects to observe, such as a leaf, coin, dollar bill, etc.
- Copy of each of the two student sheets
Part 2: Microscopes (per group of students)
- 4 hand lenses or magnifiers
- 4 plastic cover slips
- 4 plastic or glass microscope slides
- Set of colored pencils or markers
Place materials for each group on a tray and put in a central location for each group's Materials Manager to pick up.
- Moreno, N., Tharp, B., Erdmann, D., Rahmati Clayton, S., Denk, J. (2008). The Science of Microbes Teacher’s Guide. Houston, TX: BioEd.
Your slide tray is being processed.
Funded by the following grant(s)
Grant Number: 5R25RR018605