Overview of the Male Reproductive System
The urethra is a tube that transfers and drains both the male excretory and the reproductive systems. It runs through the penis and opens to the outside at the tip of the penis.
The corpus cavernosa (spongy erectile tissues) expands with blood during an erection. The corpus spongiosum (spongy, pliable tissues), prevents the urethra from closing during an erection.
- Corpus cavernosum penis. Wikipedia CC-BY-SA 3.0.
- Campbell, N.A., and Reece, J.B. (2002). Biology, 6th Edition. San Francisco, CA: Pearson Benjamin Cummings.
- Clark, Joe O.E. (1999). A Visual Guide to the Human Body. London: Barnes and Noble, Inc.
- Corpus spongiosum penis. Wikipedia CC-BY-SA 3.0.
- Illustration B0002406 © Wellcome Photo Library, Wellcome Images CC-BY-NC-ND 4.0.
Your slide tray is being processed.