Polio Risk On the Rise
Author(s): James P. Denk, MA
US Polio Facts and Timeline
- In 1916, a polio epidemic killed 6,000 people in the US, and paralyzed 27,000 more.
- More than 25,000 polio cases were reported in the US each year as recently as the early 1950s.
- A national polio vaccination campaign began in 1955.
- By the 1960s, annual cases dropped to about 3,000.
- The US was declared polio-free in 1979.
- Globally, four regions are certified polio free: the Americas, Europe, Southeast Asia; Western Pacific.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. June 18, 2013. Polio Vaccine Information Sheet. Accessed online, May 7, 2014. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/vis-statements/ipv.html World Health Organization. Poliomyelitis. March 2014. Accessed online, May 6, 2014. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs114/en/
Your slide tray is being processed.