5-E Model for Teaching Inquiry Science
Heart and Lungs
Students will measure breathing and heart rates at rest and following exercise. They will discover that breathing and heart rates increase at higher levels of activity (i.e., after exercising). During this activity, students will make predictions, take measurements, graph, compare data, and draw conclusions based on their investigation.
Specific science concepts addressed include the following.
- The functions of the heart and lungs (cardiovascular and respiratory systems) are linked.
- The heart and circulatory system work with the lungs to supply oxygen to the body and eliminate carbon dioxide.
- The rates at which the heart and lungs work depend on a person’s level of activity, and their individual fitness levels.
- Moreno N., B. Tharp, and J. Dresden. (2011). The Science of Air Teacher’s Guide. Third edition. Baylor College of Medicine.
- Photo © Denys Kuvaliev. Licensed for use.
Your slide tray is being processed.