STEM to the Rescue
© Baylor College of Medicine.
Baylor College of Medicine and Hess Corporation have teamed to offer a unique resource for teaching STEAM content to elementary and middle school students. The 2020 Hess Ambulance Rescue Team, used in combination with the free curricular guide, STEM to the Rescue, provide a powerful STEAM learning experience that engages as it teaches. Fill out the short form at the bottom of this page to download your free teacher’s guide.
While spanning grades K-8, each activity is easily adaptable for students in specific grades. The lessons may be used sequentially or separately, and/or inserted into an existing curriculum.
The following STEAM activities are included in the guide.
- Rolling, Rolling, Rolling - Using the 2020 Hess Ambulance, students will investigate how the angle of inclined planes can affect how far the Ambulance rolls.
- Hill Climb Trials - Students will measure the capability of the 2020 Hess Rescue Truck in climbing hills.
- Washout - Students will train for making jumps with the 2020 Hess rescue trucks during emergency situations.
- Round About - Students will learn about force and motion using a tether to make the 2020 Hess Rescue Truck curve.
- 9-1-1 - Students will measure cargo capacity of the 2020 Hess Ambulance and Rescue Truck and plan what equipment can be stowed for different emergency situations.
- Ambulance Service - Students will plan non-emergency ambulance transport of patients from various city locations to a specialty hospital.
Giving Thanks for Our Stars of Life - Students will learn about the origin and meaning of the Star of Life symbol on ambulances and create their own version of a logo for an emergency medical service team.
STEM to the Rescue: STEM Activities for Use with the 2020 Hess Ambulance Rescue Team was developed in a partnership between Baylor College of Medicine and the HESS Corporation.
Hess Corporation is giving away 1,000 STEM kits to Teachers!
The application for a 2020 Hess Toy Truck STEM Kit will be available on October 21, 2020 at the Hess Toy Truck Site (https://hesstoytruck.com/).
A STEM Kit will include (12) 2020 Hess Toy Trucks to be used with the free downloadable 2020 Hess Toy Truck STEM curriculum guide.
You can still download all curriculum guides for free at the links below, and use any toy trucks you have on hand.
Hess Tow Truck STEM Kits are NOT available through BioEd Online.