Super STEM Sleuths: 2
Scanning electron microscopic image of Penicillium mold producing chains of spores.
© David Gregory and Debbie Marshall, Wellcome Images. CC-BY-NC-ND 4.0
After-school activities in Super STEM Sleuths: 2 Teacher's Guide lets students investigate microscopic organisms and discover the links between different microbes and diseases. The following activities are offered.
1. Microscope Parts and Powers - Seeing the Small Stuff
2. Exploring with the Microscope - Making "Mystery" Slides
3. Magnifying and Observing Cells - Looking at Onion and Elodea Cells
4. Observing Fungi - The Fungus Among Us
5. Observing Different Microbes - What is in a Drop of Pond Water?
6. Can You Clean the Water? - Filtering Out Microbes
7. Modeling Mystery Organisms - Protist, Bacteria, Fungus, or Virus?
8. Extracting DNA - Strawberry Genetic Material
9. Microbes and Disease
10. Dignosing Microbial Diseases - Infectious Disease Case Studies
Funded by the following grant(s)
The Science of Infectious Disease and the Immune System: K-5 Teaching Resources
Grant Number: 1R25AI097453
Foundations for Student Success: National After School Network
Grant Number: 5R25AI084826